Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Shearing Time!

The kids and I were busy today shearing the two lambs. Overall, I am pleased with our job! Here's a picture of the lambs with their mama.

Jill (center) was dark grey and black when we started. Imagine our surprise to see all that white underneath! Jack (right) was the same color as Coco (left) before shearing, and you can see how different he looks now! Coco grew a really gorgeous fleece this year, and I'm excited to see how it comes off. The lambs' wool is also beautiful, but unfortunately they had gotten into some burdock! I'm going to have quite a job cleaning their wool, especially Jill's. (You can also see in the picture that our naughty boy, Jack, is out of the fence. We still haven't figured out a way to keep those two little ones behind even three electric wires!)

No post about the sheep is complete without a picture of our Spot. He also will be sheared tomorrow, if I can manage it. Shearing is hard work- I can't imagine how the pros manage to do a large flock! We have only four and I had to break up the job over two days because it was killing my back and legs!

It's nice, though, to check off another job from the "Before Winter Chores" list!

2 comments:

Sherri said...

I can imagine that it quite a job to do...then, you still have to clean the wool. "sigh"
I'm glad you could check off one more chore! I have a lot around here that I would love to check off!

molly said...

Looks good Jennifer. How are you shearing?