Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mama's Old Sweater

I have a love/hate relationship with this old sweater of mine. I originally got it on clearance from Wal-Mart about six years ago. It used to be a lovely green, but the years have not been kind. The color in this picture is actually flattering, believe it or not. It is a terrible style for me. I refuse to admit it is anything other than the sweater itself that makes me look so frumpy when I wear it. Yet I love it because I live in it so many months out of the year. It is warm and cuddly, and always right there within easy reach.

When I noticed a large hole in it under the arm I was almost relieved. "Oh, good, now I can get another sweater." But, my tightwad conscience got the better of me, and this evening I pulled out my sewing basket to mend my sweater. Five minutes and about 50 whip-stitches later my sweater is as good as new. Well, as good as "old", anyway.

In the grand scheme of things, repairing an old sweater rather than replacing it hardly seems to make much difference. But it is satisfying to give new life to something old, to live by the old adage and "wear it out" rather than just buying a new (or used) one. I guess my old sweater and I are not ready to part ways just yet. Here's to another six years!

2 comments:

Motherbird said...

Heehee. I can totally relate. My husband has made fun of my frumpy "librarian" sweater and even though it is frumpy and has a hole in it too (and I can't sew) I still like to cuddle up in it on a cold day. Yours looks comfy too. :-)

Karate Mom said...

I had a sweatshirt that was like that! It was frayed at the cuffs and neck, and huge and frumpy, and not fit to be worn outside the house, but I loved it because it was the perfect size (read: huge and comfy!) and the perfect softness.
However, I finally decided to pitch it last year (after almost 8 years!) when I realized that it was stained so much that it just looked gross, even when it was clean!! It was hard, though!