Monday, September 15, 2008

Back to School

I put it off as long as I responsibly could; the children and I went back to our "school" routine today. It went well, but even on the best of days I am still outnumbered six-to-one, each of those six often requesting my undivided attention. Just when I settle on the couch to snuggle and read with Joseph, that's when two or three other children need help or redirection RIGHT NOW.

Homeschooling is not always easy, and there are certainly days when I wonder if I can do it another year- even another minute. But then I think of the school bus that whizzes by at 7:30 in the morning and doesn't show back up until 4:30 in the afternoon. I can't imagine how stressful it would be on the kids to "work" a nine-hour day, five days a week, 36 weeks a year. So one answer to the "why do you homeschool" question is that I value those 1,620 hours a year too much. Their childhood is so precious and fleeting, and I don't want to miss out on so much of it.

This evening when it was almost time to call the children in for evening chores, our neighbor came by with the exciting news that he had got his bear. He's been baiting for a month, waiting all week, and today the hunt was successful. He wanted to know if Robert and Daniel could come out with him to see it and help bring it in. What a pity if I would have had to say "no" because of homework or an early "school night" curfew! Why do we homeschool? Because it gives us the freedom to take advantage of every possible opportunity for real life learning. Any child can see a bear in a zoo, but not many get to see a bear that close and watch it be field dressed! (This is where living in the country and homesteading is an added benefit- science gets up close and personal!)

A significant part of the older children's schedule involves service for one another in the form of chores or spending time with their younger siblings. It is thrilling to me, as a parent, to see the genuine joy and excitement on their faces as they help Mary take her first wobbling steps. I love to hear them playing with each other, saying such things as "please" and "thank you" and "you can go first" and "I'll help you". Sure, there are not-so-nice moments, too. But even these present valuable opportunities to practice repentance and forgiveness- two essential building blocks of any relationship. This is a third reason why we homeschool; there is no question as to whether or not family comes first for them.

I am so grateful to God for blessing us with the ability to homeschool. It is truly a gift! (Somebody remind me of this post in March when burn-out sets in! *grin*)

1 comment:

Karate Mom said...

AMEN, SISTAH! What a great post!!

But I had to laugh at your last comment! That's one of the great things about keeping a blog - so we can go back and read about the good times when burn out sets in!