Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Looking into the Future

What do I hope to accomplish in the next year? The next five years?

Well, I had some specific New Year's Resolutions that were maybe a bit too ambitious. I didn't know to take into account that we will be having a baby so soon, although I should have suspected!

I hope to bring more discipline into my spiritual life. I hope to learn to be more diligent and organized with my daily tasks so that I can be a better wife and mother. I hope my ewes give us a few lambs this spring, and I hope to learn what to do with their wool and milk. I hope we can get a cow and/or dairy goats, and chickens for both meat and eggs. I think we will put in two small gardens- in two parts of the yard- to see which area will work the best. (Thanks, Zach, for that suggestion!) Hopefully we'll actually produce some edible crops! I hope that we can get our homeschooling back on track with more regular assignments in the basic subjects. And I hope that by the end of the year we can eliminate all of our debt down to just the mortgage.

I also hope that in a few more weeks this morning, noon, and night sickness will go away so I can start planning on how to accomplish some of these goals. Right now it almost looks too overwhelming, but I think with diligence, teamwork, and planning (and God's help, of course!) we can accomplish all this and maybe even more.

I can't even begin to look five years into the future. A favorite quote of mine is from Mother Teresa: "If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans." I can look back five years ago and compare our lives then and now. Things have changed so dramatically, and unpredictably, since then that it would simply be folly to try to look so far ahead. I can only hope that we are still happily together, with our faith and our family still growing.

God bless!

No comments: