Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Merry Christmas

All of our family and friends are in our prayers every day, but I especially pray for grace to pour down on you all during this holy Christmas season.

Today is the feast of St. John the Beloved, and it is also the second day of Christmas. As the pastor at one of our former parishes used to say, "Don't you dare throw out the tree the day after Christmas like the pagans do!" A single holiday weekend can't possibly be adequate to contemplate the mystery of the Word made Flesh. And so I offer the following prayer.

Today, in my own private way, I want to join in the message that the angels sang: 'Glory to God in the highest, and peace on earth to people of goodwill'. I am happy that you, Christ, were born for me and for all humankind. I'd like my life to reflect your peace and your goodwill. I'd love to be fully aware of the meaning of the mystery of your birth on earth. You are the true light that enlightens all. All that comes into the world has light through you. Every living thing has life through you, the Light that shines in the dark; the Light which the powers of darkness cannot overcome. You came to your people, who did not accept you. But to those who did accept you, you gave them power to become children of God. I am one of those children. I accepted you in baptism. I need your help to remain one of your faithful followers and to relish all the days of my life the full meaning of this tremendous phrase: 'The Word became flesh and lived among us'. Amen.

God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going so well.