Monday, December 4, 2006

My New Obsession

I am beginning to understand why folks in the north are obsessed with the weather. This is true despite the fact that the weather forecast is pretty monotonous. A chance of snow showers. A slight chance of snow showers. Snow showers likely. Snow flurries today turning to good-luck-finding-the-mailbox by midnight. You get the idea. So if it starts to seem that all I talk about is the snow, you will just have to try to understand that I can’t help it. This is all new to me.

We had a really good day today. After a morning of working around the house and doing lessons, we spent a good deal of the afternoon outside. Our driveway was plowed this morning, but we still had some clearing to do. After shoveling for about 15 minutes I had to take off my coat and hat. The sun was beating down (for a while, at least) and it was almost 20 degrees; much too “warm” for full winter attire.
When I put the kids to bed just about an hour ago the sky was cloudy, but not so much that we couldn’t see the full moon rising from the east-facing upstairs window. Just now I thought that I would step outside, but when I flipped on the porch light (I’m in the habit of always turning on the light to take a look before I step out- in the country you never know what creature might be on your doorstep!) snow was coming down hard and thick. Already it has become difficult to distinguish where we shoveled and where we didn’t. It is just as amazing to me as it is beautiful.

God bless!

No comments: