Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Exercise Resolution


This year rather than making it a goal to loose a certain amount of weight, I'm going to log minutes of exercise. I will define "exercise" as any aerobic, strength training, or stretching activity in addition to whatever normal chores I might have to do. So, in that context, snow shoveling or gardening or hauling fire wood will not count as "exercise".
My goal is to get 9,002 minutes (that's 2009 backwards) by the end of this year. If I get an average of 30 minutes six times a week, I will accomplish this goal by mid-December.

I've been exercising pretty regularly since Mary was about a month old, and I am really proud of that! I'm going to keep track of my weight, but I'm not focusing on the scale this year. Still, weight is a useful indicator, and I've got a few pounds to loose. Before my pregnancy with Mary I weighed 210 pounds and wore size 18 pants. I weighed 216 when I started working out at 5 weeks post-partum. I'm starting this year at 197, in a size 14.

If any of you have exercise or health related goals, I'd love for you to leave a comment and share them. I plan to update about once a month with my total of minutes logged (or jogged- ha, ha). I've read that a support network is a determining factor as to whether or not a person sticks with health-related goals. Let's be sure to share our goals and progress, and support one another in prayer!
Here's to a healthier year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great! Best wishes!

Thanks for stopping by the Diet Naked blog.

(Hey, I used to live in northern Michigan, near Gaylord!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn! Well, I also have a goal to improve in the areas of health and fitness. Although I don't have a weight loss goal (don't worry - I know I don't need one) I am working out and watching my diet to improve overall health and how I feel daily. Thus far, I have been exercising about 30 minutes 5-6 days a week for the last month. I've noticed I have less back pain and more energy. The diet thing isn't going well but one step at a time...