Friday, January 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Raechel!

We are celebrating Raechel's 10th birthday today. Double-digits! For her birthday breakfast I made apple fritters (fried sourdough bread with diced apple and cinnamon, glazed with a small amount of honey). She requested chicken and mashed potatoes for her birthday dinner, and for dessert a chocolate cake with vanilla icing. I just love celebrating birthdays! Please take a minute to say a prayer for her continued health and growth in the coming year. I'll wait...

We are five days into the new year, and I haven't royally messed up any of my resolutions so far. I consider that quite the accomplishment. Ha! My friend Gwen asked about my plan for breaking my sugar addiction. My plan is rock-solid and brilliant in simplicity! I'm going to (this is good).... STOP EATING IT! Seriously, my first step has been to accept that I do, indeed, have a serious problem with sugar; that I am, in fact, a glutton when it comes to junk food, and that gluttony is a spiritual problem as well as a physical one. At one point, I was eating some kind of junk food pretty much all day, and the only liquid to pass my lips would be soda. That is way beyond a "craving" and into the realm of full-blown addiction. Step one has been to banish denial. The rest really is as simple as maintaining an awareness of what I am feeding my body. To give myself a jump start, I intend to do one or two master cleanses this year. I will also fast once a week in reparation. That is deceptively easy to say, but I fully expect it will be difficult to do. Which is why I am relying on my ultimate weapon- prayer.

So, after all that you're probably wondering what kind of chocolate cake I will be making. I plan on using the sourdough starter as a base, and honey for sweetener. I will try to pay attention to how I make it, and share the recipe if it is worth sharing.

God bless!

2 comments:

Zach said...

Happy Birthday, Raechel!

And now, the Yooper homesteader version of 'Happy Birthday' ...

Hippo Birdie, Two Ewes
Hippo Birdie, Two Ewes
Hippo Birdie Deer Ewe
Hippo Birdie Two Ewes


:)

peace,

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to my dear granddaughter!! I love you, Raechel. Grandma Ferguson