Thursday, April 10, 2008

This has been on my mind...

Ever since I posted yesterday I've had this nagging question. Does a person go to lay down, or is it lie down?

It bugs me to no end that I'm not absolutely sure. Blame it on my schooling (I'm probably one of only a handful of people in the world who actually enjoyed diagramming sentances) but I was always something of a grammar snob. Just ask Chuck! I find it particularly irritating when somebody types "there" instead of "their" or "they're" or confuses "its" and "it's". But I have been guilty of confusing "lay" with "lie". Thanks to Google, I now have (probably) hundreds of thousands of pages of grammar rules at my fingertips.

Since I'm still feeling poorly, I'm going to lay down my keyboard and go lie down.

God bless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LAY/LIE, what is the difference. I think to add the word "down" makes it either, or is it ither, redundant. Anyway, I think you need to take a break, you've been working too hard.

uncle Lyle

Zach said...

I'm probably one of only a handful of people in the world who actually enjoyed diagramming sentances

It's a guilty pleasure -- I enjoyed it too.

Oh, and you misspelled "sentences". :)


peace,

Jennifer said...

I said I thought I was good at grammar- not spelling. :-P I'm going to have to go fix that now....

Anonymous said...

Jen, one lies down.
One lays something else down.
Past tense of lie is lay. English is an imprecise science.
richard