Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Now what are we going to do?

"Okay, Lord, we're here. Now what?"

We spent a lot of time in prayer and research before deciding to move. But following the UP's weather online and checking out books about livestock from the library is probably going to be inadequate preparation for the reality. That's okay; I'm steeling myself for the worst while hoping for the best.

But there are so many questions! How do I know what kind of animals we want to keep? Which chickens will be hardy and yet give good meat and eggs? Would we be able to get used to goat's milk if we decide a cow is too big an investment? If we try meat rabbits will the kids be willing to eat them? And I still haven't figured out where the garden will be much less what I might try to grow in it. We certainly have a lot to learn; it seems pitiful when I consider these are things that would have been second nature just two generations ago!

I remember back when I was a kid and Dad got a motorcycle. What a treat it was to go for a ride, clinging to Dad's back like a baby monkey! I didn't always know where we would go, although every once in a while he would ask whether I wanted to turn right or left. Occasionally the ride was too cold, or windy. Sometimes it was all too easy to imagine myself losing my hold on Dad and falling off, so I would hold on that much tighter. I didn't have to worry about the traffic, the weather, or keeping our balance. I just had to hold on tight to my Dad- let him worry about those things for me- and enjoy the ride.

God bless!

No comments: