Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lessons Learned

Turns out my last night at work really was my last night at work.  I was scheduled for a few shifts through the end of the month, so I left a note asking if anybody wanted them.  They all got taken, so as far as I know, I am done!

The years I spent working, particularly the last eight months, have taught me a lot about myself.  I can work more hours, and sleep fewer, than I would have thought.  Staying up all night is much easier for me than getting up early in the morning.  I will never be a "people person" but I can work very well with folks, thanks, in part, to my naturally high tolerance for B.S.

Finally, I learned that I can't have it all.  I don't want to have it all.  When I first started working, I thought I was unhappy because it was "just a job".  So, I found a job that, in theory, might have led to further education and an advancing career.  The possibility seemed exciting at first, but soon I wasn't so sure.  Then I found out I'm pregnant, and it became obvious that what I really want is to be home again.  There is nothing wrong with balancing career and family.  I have utmost respect for all Moms who do it!  It just isn't right for me.

So while I am grateful for all my experiences and opportunities of the last four years, even more, I am happy to be home full time.  I am also ready for the lessons that this next season of life has to teach me.

No comments: