Wednesday, August 13, 2008

About our Trip

We are back safely from Worthington, so I thought I'd share our adventures.

I got up at 5:00 am on Thursday (after getting to bed around midnight), and we were on the road by 5:45. We made good time to Rhinelander, WI where we stopped for breakfast. Just as I was getting the kids together and ready to hit the road again, a man came in saying "somebody's got a flat tire". Sure enough, looking out the window I could plainly see my van with one of the rear tires completely flat. I had been a bit worried about making the drive because I knew those back tires were pretty bad, but we figured I could make it and replace the tires when we got to Worthington. We figured wrong. Fortunately, there was a tire place less than two blocks away, and they sent somebody out to air up the tire so I could drive the van to their place. When he removed the tire, he said, "This tire was so bald a rock went through it." He showed me where there was a rock about the size of a quarter embedded in my tire. It was really pathetic.

The rest of our day went better, but our nine hour drive took more like 12. I liked Minnesota okay, but as far as I can tell the entire lower half of the state is nothing but corn and soy fields that smell like cow poop. We did see some really beautiful farms, but there just wasn't much else to see. We didn't arrive until about 4:00 Central Time. Worthington is a cute little town in the SW corner of Minnesota. There is a lake downtown with several parks surrounding the lake.

We had a good time at the hotel pool, and also did some driving around and sight-seeing over the weekend. The children and I drove back yesterday, without incident other than a traffic jam in St. Paul. We enjoyed our little vacation, bu it is good to be home. Thank you for your prayers for our safe travels!

1 comment:

Elizabeth Olmstead McBride said...

Jennifer, if you are in Saint Paul again and don't visit me I will be mad!! I am going to try to get to the U.P. in October.